From the Editors
Written by Dominique Thomas, Morehouse College and Allana Zuckerman
Hello everyone! We are excited to bring you the Summer 2022 issue of The Community Psychologist!
The Summer 2022 issue has informative and thought-provoking articles on both new and ongoing work within the field of community psychology. This issue also has some additional updates within the SCRA organization as well. Below is a preview of what to expect in the current issue.
- President’s Column: Yvette Flores shares updates on initiatives in the organization and leadership transitions.
- Community Practitioner: Dawn X. Henderson discusses her work with dream assessments and building power with Black families.
- Council for Cultural, Ethnic, and Racial Affairs: Geraldine (Geri) Palmer discusses The Great Replacement Theory’s relationship to the mass shooting in Buffalo and a possessive investment in Whiteness.
- CP Practice in Undergraduate Settings Features reflections from students who participated in a community-based participatory research program and worked with community organizations as part of an experiential learning project.
- Early Career Interest Group highlights the diverse career paths of scholars Dr. Mckenzie Stokes and PhD candidate Corbin J. Standley.
- Education Connection is soliciting submissions to their knowledge sharing hub.
- From Our Members: We have a pair of submissions from students on innovative ways to approach community psychology.
- International Committee highlights recent CP publications across the globe.
- Prevention and Promotion: Dr. Vanessa Goodar discusses her work on Black women’s radical self-care.
- Regional Updates include updates from the Midwest and West regions.
- Remembering Dr. Edison “Ed Trickett”: We republished, with permission, an obituary for Dr. Ed Trickett written by the Department of Psychology at University of Illinois Chicago.
- Research Council provides tips and strategies for untenured faculty, particularly for Black faculty and other scholars of color.
- Student Issues is a dialogue among the SCRA Student Representatives with the intention of building relationships and sparking conversation. They identify questions, challenges, and opportunities facing students in SCRA.
- Treasurer’s Report: Chris Nettles shares updates on the finances of the Society.
- The Community Psychologist Podcast: Dr. Vanessa Goodar and Dr. Hareder McDowell speak with us about Black women's radical self-care and sexual communication empowerment. Catch up on the rest of our episodes at https://scra27.org/publications/tcp/podcast/
- Reading Circle: We’ll share what we are reading. If you have any interesting books or articles you want to share, please send them to us! This issue, in memory of Dr. Ed Trickett, we’re sharing some of his publications.
Book Review Submissions
We are soliciting submissions for book reviews! If anyone is interested in having their book being reviewed and wants a review published, please reach out to us at TCP@scra27.org and let us know so we can talk about it. If you have a potential reviewer in mind, please send their name and contact information along with the book to be reviewed. Please include the title Book Review Submission in the subject line of the email.
We hope you enjoy this issue!
Dominique and Allana
TCP Editor and TCP Associate Editor